With the cold temperatures and harsh weather conditions moving on in favor of the rains of springtime, it’s the perfect time to inspect your commercial roofing system for any damage or needed general maintenance and to prepare it for the rainy weather to come.
The wind, sleet and snow that the winter months can bring is especially destructive to all types of roofs, so the first step in preparing for spring is to conduct a visual inspection. That means getting up on the roof and looking for areas that may be problematic. If your roof has gutters, be sure to inspect those and remove any and all debris, if necessary.
When inspecting your roof, check for areas where significant debris may need to be removed or where there was accumulated snow or water. Keep a close eye on things that look out of the ordinary.
If you cannot climb the roof, contact your local Garland representative to do a roof inspection for you. The Garland Company offers no-obligation roofing inspections that include:
• A visual survey of the current roof conditions
• If needed, further inspection of suspected roofing problems, using scientific instrumentation
• Written documentation of findings
• Formal recommendation of solutions
• Assistance with specifications, contractor solutions and bid analysis
The perfect time to conduct any routine maintenance necessary to keep your roofing system in peak condition is just before the spring months. This should include:
• Rake and caulk reglet joints and termination bars at perimeters
• Repair and/or coat flashings
• Repair vertical seams
• Repair damages to roof field
• Tighten or replace loose fasteners
• Re-adhere aggregate and/or recoat surface as needed
• Preserve R-Value by removing wet insulation and making needed repairs
Next, move inside and take a look up at your interior roof to make sure everything looks normal. Are there water stains or spots? Those stains can indicate a larger problem and should be noted.
Investing in an inspection now, before problems occur, can easily save your business money and time. A major roof leak or other problems can shut down a business and major repairs cost much more than preventive measures. Keep in mind, too, that most roofing manufacturers require regular maintenance to keep warranties current.
What regular maintenance do you perform before the spring season? Share below.